ScienceReturn to Subject Information
The science department at Newcastle Bridges School has a dedicated and supportive team of teaching staff who believe that every student should have the opportunity to reach their full potential. Newcastle Bridges School has a wide and varied range of leaners; skilled teachers and support staff are confident and able to adapt lessons and provide accreditation pathways to suit individual student needs.
- Stimulate and excite pupil’s curiosity
- Understand how scientific methods and theories can develop over time
- Develop practical skills
- Evaluate risks in both practical science and the wider societal context
- Explain every day and technological applications of science
- Develop scientific explanations and an understanding of familiar and unfamiliar facts
- Apply a knowledge of a range of techniques, instruments, apparatus and materials to select those appropriate to the experiment
- Use scientific vocabulary, terminology and definitions
- Use SI units
- Develop skills to work as part of a team
- Develop skills to work independently
- Develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics
Course currently on offer:
The courses available at Newcastle Bridges School changes over time and this is to ensure we offer appropriate accreditation pathways to all students, where appropriate. We currently offer:
GCSE Combined Science
Entry Level Certification (Entry Level Science/Entry Level Further Science)
Students can achieve a single GCSE in Biology/Chemistry/Physics by completing 2 external examinations (1 hour and 45 minutes). Students can achieve grades 1-5 by completing the foundation tier and 4-9 by completing the higher tier.
GCSE Combined Science:
Students can achieve two GCSEs in Science by completing GCSE Combined Science by completing 6 external examinations (1 hour 10 minutes). Students can achieve grades 1-5 by completing the foundation tier and 4-9 by completing the higher tier.
Entry Level Certification (Entry Level Science/Entry Level Further Science):
Students can achieve single Entry Level Certification in Science by completing 6 externally set examinations. Students can achieve Entry Level 1, Entry Level 2 or Entry Level 3.
Students can achieve single Entry Level Certification in Further Science by completing 6 externally set examinations. Students can achieve Entry Level 1, Entry Level 2 or Entry Level 3.
Unit awards offers learners the opportunity to have their achievements formally recognised with a certificate issued by AQA each time a short unit is successfully completed.